Wig Care Products
Proper wig care will ensure that your wig will stay lovely for years to come. When you buy a wig, you really make an investment in your own self-image. The right wig care is essential for that investment to continue giving you many years of service.
Some important considerations of wig care:
- The type of hair used in your wig: the two main types are synthetic and human hair. These different types require their own, unique wig care.
- Hair products vary greatly. Again, the type you should use is mostly based on which type of hair you wig is made from.
- Storage – all wigs should be stored on a wig form or mannequin head when they are not being worn. Wig stands, forms and mannequins will help the wig keep its shape and last much longer.
Wig care includes everything from the washing, styling and storing of your wig. Wigs are somewhat delicate and require specific care. Some things to consider when styling your wig are:
- Heat styling – this can be dangerous depending on what type of wig you have. Synthetic wigs should never be heat styled with a hair dryer, curling iron, flat iron or hot rollers. Heat permanently damages synthetic hair. Real human hair can be heat styled.
- All wigs should be air dried after they are washed, unless your specific wig comes with other instructions. Wigs should be washed about every week and half – the frequency can vary depending on your needs, climate and environment. Wig washing is different than washing your own hair. You must be gentle and not scrub the cap area.
- Styling products such as gels and sprays should only be used if they are specifically made for use with wigs.
- Follow the wig care instructions and guidelines that your wig supplier provides.
Wig care is important for maintaining a beautiful wig. If you want your wig to continue to serve its purpose, you must invest the time it takes to properly care for your wig. Wig care includes getting the wig hair products, such as shampoo and conditioner that you wig retailer recommends. Special brushes and combs are also available for proper wig care. In order to retain the style and shape you desire, always wig stands, forms or mannequins to store your wig when you are not wearing it.
Caring for your wig can be an involved process, yet it is so worthwhile to care for and preserve your wig for many more years of use. The best recommendations for wig care for your specific wig will likely come with your wig from the retailer or shop that you purchase your wig from.